Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Time to Can!!


Today was a fun day for our family. It was the first time we harvested our garden as a family. Lots of work but lots of fun!!! At the end of the day we have 48 pints of pickled beets, 45 quarts of freezer corn and 15 pints of chopped green peppers stashed in the freezer. All from our very own garden!!! How cool is that?!!! I didn't get a picture of all the produce one it was canned/ready to freeze but here are a few pics from the fun that went on during the day.



Marge English is 76 yrs old and is a faithful parishioner of ours. She goes nonstop. She cans everything possible and gives most of it away to her family. She lives on her own in an adorable little house that I just love. She seriously has more stamina and energy than I do. She is the queen of canning so I am trying to learn from her all that I can - while I can.



Mom & Dad came and spent the day with us today. More on that in another post.











Alyssa's job was to mark the paper every time Daddy got 1 dozen cobs stacked up. She was doing a great job of counting the tally marks too!!!


After a long day of canning....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh such fun! I know it was a lot of work, but you bless my heart with your whole attitude about this endeavor. AND what a great family experience. My girls both do gardens and are canning and freezing because we had many days like what you pictured here. I LOVE the pictures of the kids shucking corn and Alyssa tallying! You have the most adorable children. (Now you realize I can't make such obviously prejudiced comments once Kendra is officially on my class roster? :=) Mary H )

Janice said...

Last night when I was cutting corn off the cob to freeze, I said, "I think Mary Lou Gurnee used to have a thing to do this ~ a wooden tray-like thing with a blade." Lo and behold, I see Byron using it (or one like it) in one of the pictures! Neat!

Candi said...

My goodness! You all were busy! I'm sure you will enjoy it all. That picture of Alyssa with the book is too cute!

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Janice, it is the same one!! I think it used to be Grandma Durfee's? Maybe it was HER mom's. Not sure on the complete history of it. It sure is slick though. Byron plans to make some just like it.

jenny said...

Oh Julie & Byron -- that is so inspiring. We didn't even get our "tiny" garden put in this summer. I can't believe with all your travels, you still did so much gardening. I would LOVE to learn from you about all the canning!

Have fun in AK!!