Friday, October 1, 2010

Is the Coffee too Hot?

The routine in our house is pretty boring and certainly nothing worth writing about. However, today I have chosen to do just that.

Each morning I get up and start the coffee pot. Shortly thereafter I get a Styrofoam cup and fill it up, add sugar and a special plastic lid and off Byron goes ready to start his day. A couple days ago Byron called me and said, "Honey, my cup is leaking. Its totally falling apart. Either the coffee is too hot or the cup is too weak."


Wow! Life has been a bit overwhelming for me lately. All of my children are in school now and in so many ways that saddens me. Its been allot to wrap my mind around. We are in the middle of a large building project here at our church. We just started a building our garage. I am still homeschooling. Our home computer died. The devil has been fighting me over allot of things. I am currently looking for a job to help make ends meet. My house just never seems to stay cleaned up. It seems like I am constantly fixing meals. The laundry is NEVER done. There just seems to be so MUCH to do.... so many people to minister to..... so much stress.... My coffee just seems TOO hot! My "cup" of my life just seems to be leaking and falling apart.

So, is the coffee too hot or is my cup just too weak? 2 Corinthians 12:9 says: And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

So, clearly, He wants us to recognize and acknowledge that our strength must come from Him. Obviously He knows that we ARE weak vessels.


Isaiah 41:10 says Fear thou not; for I [am] with thee: be not dismayed; for I [am] thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

His right hand signifies power! The very OPPOSITE of weakness!
Isaiah 43:2 says When thou passest through the waters, I [will be] with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.


Sounds to me like my sweet Heavenly Father KNEW before I even came into existence that my coffee was gonna get really HOT! Yet, He knew me and put down in the record that He would be with my poor weak cup and would help my sorry ole cup of life to not disingrate or fall apart.


So, friend.... if your cup is leaking, let me just say.... Yep, your coffee is probably too hot but if you are a child of God's He has promised to help you and promised to keep you from falling apart like the silly ole Styrofoam cup that Byron had.


If you are not a child of God's, you absolutely can be!! He's simply a prayer away and is longing to be your Abba Father. All you have to do is ask. Its truly that simple.

7 comments:

Carla said...

Julie, very well put! I can totally relate. We don't have building projects, etc. but life does get overwhelming. I appreciate your comments!

Mary Herl said...

You described the daily life of a mom so well! I remember those days. . . but , like you said, God is faithful. You really should consider publishing some of your blogs for that extra income you need.

John Parker said...

WOW Julia... My heart goes out to you and all the other overwhelmed moms! You do have a huge job... a 24/7 job! But I have the perspective of someone who's just lived in that house with your family for a week... You do an AWESOME job! God's GRACE is very evident in you and Byron! You've certainly discovered the secret in this wonderful thought... HIS GRACE! It's made complete in our weakness! Cathy and I believe in you! You're doing an awesome job with your kids... (all 5 of them!)

Anonymous said...

Julie,

I so totally get this my friend, both boys in school, stress of work or lack there of, laundry not being done, never enough hours in the day to get things completed.......expenses that need to be met ugh it never ends

I needed this post albeit I am reading it a little late.

My coffee is too hot at times and I find it a struggle to handle my life, just like handling a hot cup of coffee.

But somehow I find the strength to get through it.

Take Care,

Terry

Dani said...

Julie, this was a beautiful post. Sorry I'm commenting to far after the fact but just wanted you to know that I said a prayer for you today and...even though I haven't seen you in a decade I still think you're wonderful. :)

Janiece said...

Great post Julie! So nice to be reminded of God's love for us no matter how fast paced our lives are!

Lisa said...

Of course, you could use an eco-friendly, re-usable, healthy stainless steel travel cup, and then it wouldn't matter how hot the coffee was. But then you wouldn't have an object lesson, huh? (-;