Monday, October 5, 2009

Thankful Monday

Today, I choose to be thankful. My humanness wants to complain and whine but I am consciously choosing to be thankful and to push away the worrisome, negative thoughts that are just pounding in my head.

- Today, I choose to be thankful for my wonderful husband who took a chance on me 15 yrs ago - a geeky, immature high school girl. This man puts up with me, loves me and takes care of me. Yes, I am one of those women whose man takes care of her. I am not out to prove anything and I just happen to believe that part of mans role is to care for his wife and I am quite content and happy to let Byron fulfill that role in our relationship. And yes, I also know that if anything were to happen to him, I will be in big trouble. We'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it.

- Today, I choose to be thankful for my healthy, fun, ornery, obnoxious, lovable children. Through them I have gained a far clearer picture of my heavenly Father. Through them I see how total, unreserved acceptance works. Through them I have learned how to love without reservation and with eyes closed to imperfections and faults. Through them I have learned to prioritize and to practice patience in all things, at all times.

- Today, I choose to be thankful for my house. Yes, even that. :-) I could be in a cardboard box underneath a bridge. I am thankful that God is using this housing situation to make me a better person. Not sure how all that will work out just yet but I'm confident He has a purpose so I'm just sitting it out waiting to see what He has in store!!!

- Today, I choose to be thankful for my mother in law and father in law. I don't think anyone else is willing to crawl under our trailer and make necessary repairs. They've rescued us from more disasters than I can count. We've borrowed pretty much everything they own at least once (ok,that may be a slight exaggeration) and they've babysat our kids so much they are thinking of building on an addition just for them. Ok, that is definitely not just an exaggeration but it sounded good. The "in law" jokes are indeed always very funny and I enjoy them as much as the next person but truly, my in laws are far better to me than I deserve.

- Today, I choose to be thankful for my girlfriends because truly, I have the best friends in the entire world, hands down. I am the type of person who is a loner. I am not one to spend hours talking on the phone (to anyone) and I have a difficult carrying on lengthy conversations but God has sent into my life a handful of awesome, to the grave, friends. I may not have 100's of them but the ones I have are the best. What I lack in quantity (when it comes to number of friends) I make up for in the quality of them. Most of my friends know pretty much all their is to know about me yet they love me anyway. Girls, you know who you are. Please know that you are loved very very much.

- Today, I choose to be thankful for my church family. God called us here 6 yrs ago, with an undeniable, clear call. I am so thankful for that call and I am determined to never move ANYWHERE again without an equally clear and certain call. There is much I could say about our church family but through them I have learned that God works in mysterious ways - ways that are always, undoubtedly higher than our ways.

- Today, I choose to be thankful to be alive. God is good . Always. In the good times. In the bad times. In the "I don't know" times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Precious, thankful thoughts from your precious thankful heart. There are many of us who are thankful that God called you here to Albion. Can't wait to continue to see what he does in and through you and your family. Blessings---the Gurnee's biggest fan, Mrs. Herl

Melissa said...

Love you too girlfriend and I'm VERY thankful you came for a visit.

Janiece said...

Good post Julie! Yes we have A LOT to be thankful for! : )