Friday, December 5, 2008

Monday's

I'm a pastor's wife. That means I'm a Pastors wife. I have a title all of my own. Because I am married to a pastor I am now not only the wife of a pastor - I am a Pastors wife. One of the many responsibilities and duties that come with this position is that of helping carry my husband's load. Frankly, the devil is making sure the load gets heavier by the day. I have 2 close friends who are also in full time ministry who are under attack more than they've ever been attacked in their churches. I have to wonder if this is a sign that God is about to move in miraculous ways and the devil is doing his best to thwart His plan or if means that God's people are not praying as they should. The thing that absoltuely petrify's me is the means that the enemy is using to destroy God's church. At any rate, I ran across this blog this evening of Rev. Rick Lawrenson's and I felt that it was worth repeating.
But whenever Monday comes...
Charles Spurgeon, the great British preacher/pastor of the 19th century made the statement that every Monday he wanted to quit.
This guy was far from a failure. He was the most celebrated and read Christian of his era. The church he led in London was by today's standards a "mega-church". Every week men and women came to faith under his ministry. But on Mondays he was down.
That's a very common hazard that comes with the job. I know. I often feel it as well. A lot of spiritual energy is expended on Sundays. The "point man" often goes toe to toe in battle for the souls of men with the opposition. And then there's the devil to contend with, too!
In my prayer time earlier God reminded me that it was Monday and prompted me to pray for a number of my pastor friends. Some are struggling today and I know it. Others I don't know, but still need encouragement to keep on.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing that Julie... It takes quite a load off to realize that the great Charles Spurgeon was human enough to want quit at least once a week, doesn't it?