Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Story Behind the "Cabbage Poll"

Last week a neighbor brought us a huge head of cabbage. I told Byron that I'd be making cabbage rolls for dinner that day. A few hours later he came home and looked at my casserole dish full of beautiful cabbage rolls and said, "those aren't cabbage rolls!" He then informed me that cabbage rolls involved BREAD. WHAT?!!!!! Never heard of such a thing. So.... I started my poll. As you can see.... 20 of my faithful readers agree with me. One of you agree with my husband. He has 2 votes but one vote is his. :-) Then, my piano teacher of yesteryear posted a comment on my last blog entry about cabbage rolls as they relate to Wyoming culture. Anyways.... thanks for your interesting input, Ann!! I then headed to Google and found a couple great recipes for all my readership along with a really great youtube tutorial on how to make Cabbage Rolls.




Recipe 1
Recipe 2

3 comments:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Note: The video starts out "Stuffed Cabbage" rolls. Just like stuffed peppers. Harumph!!

I would some cabbage rolls. I will post a recipe for you:

Ingredients:
1 lb frozen white bread dough, thawed (equals 2 loaves)
1 lb ground beef
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped parsley (fresh)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup ketchup
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon milk
kosher salt (optional)
cracked pepper (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In 10 inch skillet, brown beef over medium heat.
3. Drain fat and add cabbage, onions, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper.
4. Cook until cabbage is crisp/tender (5 minutes).
5. Add cheese and ketchup.
6. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
7. Divide each bread loaf into 4 equal pieces.
8. Roll dough out on lightly floured surface into a 6 inch circle.
9. Place 1/2 C of beef mixture into center of each circle.
10. Pinch the edges of the dough together to enclose beef and form into bun shape.
11. Seam side down, place filled bun on greased cookie sheet.
12. In small bowl, mix egg and milk.
13. Brush top of bun with egg mixture.
14. Sprinkle top with a bit of kosher salt and cracked pepper if desired.
15. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until browned.
16. Serve with ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce and relish if desired.
17. TIP-buns can be frozen after cooking.
18. To prepare frozen buns, remove from freezer-wrap in foil and place on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until heated through.

Serves 4-6 people...and only 1 if I am the one!

HOBL

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

As soon as I finish the chapter I'm reading in my novel I'll try to get to making those.

Julie

Anonymous said...

My sister-in-law calls them pigs in a blanket but there is no bread involved. She pours sauerkraut over the rolls before she bakes them.