Monday, August 11, 2008

What will your Sunset look like?


Today we attended the funeral of my husband's Aunt Ellen Durfee. She died of complications from Parkinson's disease yet she had lived a full life. As I sat through the funeral and listened to different ones share memories of her in her younger years, I was reminded again of how quickly life moves along.


My children are in what I'd consider to be the "sunrise" period of their lives. I have long ago passed from that period into what I'd consider to be the sun shining brightly high in the sky. I have found that it won't be very long until the sun starts to become the "midday sun" until finally I'll reach my "sunset" years.


The other night I was privileged to see the sunset pictured above. It was probalby the most beautiful I've ever witnessed. I've seen many sunsets. Some not noteworthy at all. Some pretty - yet not striking. And then there is the occasional breathtaking display of God's handiwork.


It is my prayer that I will, with God's help, live my life so that when it is time for my "sun" to set, it will be one that displays the beauty of God and His touch on my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at my favorite aunt's funeral 2 wks ago and witnessed a "beautiful sunset." Your little entry today put it all together for me. . . how I saw the extraordinary beauty of it and yet grieved a little that it was here and then gone. Oh for the day the beauty lasts eternally! Love you.--maryh

The Millard Family said...

beautiful thoughts and reflections.

Carla said...

Well said, Julie!