Monday, March 2, 2009

Let them be little

I should probably preface this whole entry with the warning to anyone reading this who has strong opinions about educating their newborns with Baby Mozart, etc. This may not be an blog you want to read today and furthermore, please don't try to change my mind. LOL

I am admittedly one of "those moms" who unashamedly talks "baby talk" to my infants. I also happen to love the little words they come up with whenever they cannot say certain letters. One of my children didn't pronounce their "f's" right away. Another didn't pronounce their "B's" right away. The resulting words were sometimes adorable - sometimes not (try saying the word "buck" with a f - not a b. Very embarrassing.)I know that allot people think that I should correct my child everytime and help them learn those particular sounds. However, I am of the belief that children all learn at their own pace - each one different and unless a glaring mental problem is evident, I should not rush them. I am hearing more and more parents who are being forced to rush their child if they are not conforming to what some stuffy board has come up with as the "norm" for 5 yr olds, 6 yr olds, etc. No one knows my child as well as I do and I know whether my child has a huge developmental delay or if he/she is simply not ready to do microbiology at 7 yrs old. Boys learn slower than girls. Some studys are even currently suggesting that boys are not mentally developed enough to start school until age 8 at the EARLIEST. This has become a huge soap box of mine, I will readily admit. And, truly, I better just stop right now. LOL

Anyways... the following song is a gentle reminder to all you parents out there.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

I could say a lot from my soap box, also. But since your soap box looks pretty much like my soap box, I'll just let it suffice to say, "I enjoyed the video." Thanks!

The Fuller's said...

Thank you Julie! I truly am a firm believer in letting them be little, they are only little once. I think that they are learning far more important things all on their own than what we could dream of coming up with to teach them anyways.

Down Blueberry Lane said...

Julie I agree with you on this. And I find it most annoying when family members have the audacity to say they wonder if your child has dyslexia. And they think they are the ones who have to educate your child every time they are around them. I am like, excuse me!! :)

tacomom said...

Definitely on the same page with you!! I couldn't agree more. I think it's such a shame that the huge population of teenage moms in our country have made those us of who DO know our kids and what to watch for, have to feel pressured by medical professionals and what not to follow THEIR guidelines. Now I'm on MY soapbox! lol! (I don't think I said that very well...hope you know what I'm TRYING to say.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this one made me cry. They grow so fast. I've never heard this song before but it so good. Thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

I love that song! Brings a tear to my eye every time! Why do we rush children into growing up so quickly these days? I LOVED being little! :) (Sometimes I wish I still was!!! LOL) Thanks for the reminder, Julie!

A Chocolate Bouquet said...

Thank you-I agree too! I remember when my oldest daughter was little, and us young mommies would talk. It seemed that young mothers felt the need to "compare", or talk about how bright their little one was. There are bright babies out there, but they all develop at different times, and they tend to even out, or be where they should be by the time they are in high school. I'm a firm believer in not comparing children. And just like your post says, let them be little. :) Maybe it is a way that young mommies try to fill their own insecurities?