Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Good Ole Days

I suppose I'm about to show my age by writing what I'm about to write but so be it. :-)
Today is a rainy Saturday. I happen to like rainy days. They are cozy and a bit restrictive as far as outside activities so for an adult, that means the "to do" list is a bit smaller. Even as a child I liked rainy days. But Saturday's have always been special to me.
As a child, our home ran on a pretty unchanging routine. Dad left for the barn at the same time each day and came in at the same time each day. Of course there were the occasional deviations but for the most part, our schedule was the same every day - every week - every month.
Part of this schedule was Saturday. Saturday's were always special and fun. I don't even think it was my moms intention to make them special and fun. It just kinda happened I think.
Here's how a typical Saturday would look....
8:00 AM - Dad would come into my room (after having just come in from the morning chores at the barn) and turn on my radio to the local Christian radio station and Uncle Charlie with Children's Bible Hour would be just coming on. He'd kiss me to wake me up then he would go downstairs to eat breakfast. At 8:30 the story would be over and I would go down to eat with him.
9:00 AM - We (my sister and I and mom) would start cleaning the house. It was my duty to clean my room, the bathroom and sweep the whole house (that was a big task) and dust and polish the whole house (another huge task). Once we were all done with cleaning......
11:30 AM - We "girls" headed for town. During this trip we would get groceries and any other incidentals that were needed. We would eat lunch out as well.
We would be in town til 5:00ish then we would head home in time to welcome dad in from the days work.
This happened the same way every single Saturday of my childhood. And, as insane as it may sound, I miss those days. I took for granted the time with my sister and my mom and dad. Back then I thought I would NEVER grow up and leave home.
I have a good life now as an adult but there is a longing inside to go back just for a month or two and re-live those days. I would SO treasure them more if I could re-do them. I don't know that I'd change anything just that I would enjoy them more.
Well, obviously that isn't going to happen and so far I've not even come close to establishing a "Saturday routine" that my kids can someday write about.
*sigh*

No comments: