Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Oh Love That Will Not Let Me Go

I have been using hymns in my devotions lately and we have also been using hymn studies one Sunday night a month here at church. This past Sunday night this song was one that we highlighted and it has really stuck with me all week. Here is a short history about the hymn's author and then you can click on the youtube link and listen to it. What rich full meaning.
----------------------------------
Born in 1842 Glasgow, George Matheson was the eldest of eight. He was educated at the University of Glasgow, where he graduated first in classics, logic and philosophy. In his twentieth year he became totally blind, but he held to his resolve to enter the ministry, and gave himself to theological and historical study. In 1879 the University of Edinburgh conferred upon him the honorary degree of D.D.. In 1890, he became a fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. He died suddenly of apoplexy on the 28th of August 1906 in Edinburgh and is buried in the Glasgow Necropolis. He never married.

On June 6, 1882, George Matheson, wrote, “I was at that time alone, it was the day of my sister’s marriage . . . Something happened to me, which was known only to myself, and which caused me the most severe mental suffering. The hymn was the fruit of that suffering.” The hymn he referred to is, “ O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go.” What was the suffering he was experiencing? We do not know for sure, maybe it was thoughts of his own engagement that had been broken off when his fiancĂ©e learned that he would be completely blind soon. Or maybe he was grieving the loss of his own sister’s closeness, who had studied Greek and Hebrew so she could assist him in his sermon preparation. Nonetheless, we see that he started to think about the love of God and the cross of Christ and his thoughts were turned to blazing daylight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
O Love that will not let me go,I rest my weary soul in Thee;I give Thee back the life I owe,That in Thine ocean depths its flow May richer, fuller be.
O Light that foll’west all my way,I yield my flick’ring torch to Thee;My heart restores its borrowed ray,That in Thy sunshine’s blaze its day May brighter, fairer be.
O Joy that seekest me through pain,I cannot close my heart to Thee;I trace the rainbow through the rain,And feel the promise is not vain That morn shall tearless be.
O Cross that liftest up my head,I dare not ask to fly from Thee;I lay in dust life’s glory dead,And from the ground there blossoms red Life that shall endless be.

3 comments:

Vonnie said...

One of my most favorite songs!!

Anonymous said...

What an encouragement that was this morning!!! Thanks for sharing that and it makes me want to look up more hymn stories and that was a beautiful rendition... I think I'll play it again.

Anonymous said...

I plan to share this with my adult Sunday School as part of our lesson this morning. Thank you so much for sharing this blog with all of us.