Sunday, June 29, 2008

Ok, ya'll.... Give Me Your Best Tips!!

My trusty little "ticker" at the bottom of my web page, along with my dependable daytimer are telling me that in 16 days Byron & I will be heading North - WAY north!!! We will be flying out to Alaska on the 15th. To say that I am nervous to be on a plane that long would be a drastic understatement. I've flown several times before but I've never flown non stop for such a long period of time. And therein lies my fears. But, nonetheless.... a'flying we will go. So... for all you veteran flyers.... and all you who live in AK or have visited AK... please share what I absolutely MUST pack... what I can't live without (ie. what I must take on the plane with me), etc. Any secrets that you can share that would make my packing and trip smoother?

Oh, yes, one more thing.... if you think of us on the 16th... please pray for our safety. Then if you happen to think of us from the 16th-20th pray for Byron as he will be preaching to the youth at the Dot Lake Camp. You may need to pray for me during that time as well because I will be staying with a friend who would not agree to temporarily move her pet snake out of the house so that I could rest easily. So, it is quite possible that my nerves may be completely shot by the time we leave AK!!! :-)

So... tips or hints, anyone???

10 comments:

tim said...

mosquito spray with Deet...by the case

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Wow, Tim... that sounds so exciting!!! (now excuse me while I go prepare an extra suitcase for mosquito spray and anti-itch medication).

Julie

Angie said...

If you don't already have one...time to invest in an ipod...it'll kill the boredom on the plane. Or maybe you have a great friend who will let you borrow theirs....

Anonymous said...

just like to point out that Death by airplane crash,though increasingly common, is virtually painless.
Hope you can find that to be encouraging.

Anonymous said...

Julie, Hi! I saw that you were at Beulah Grove Camp meeting. We were there on Sunday. I must have missed you! It would have been nice to see you again!~Tina(Miller)Thomas

Carla said...

Yes mosquito spray is a must--we actually trap mosquitos up here. The traps are small (compared to some traps) but we do have them. Walmart even sells them. Also, you probablly will have a stop somewhere. When we flew our itinerary said just 1 stop but we actually had 2. Check with your airline.
Carla

Mamabear said...

Hint #1 When you are boarding, think of Bob. That will put the flight in perspective, and you wont even worry about it.
Hint #2 dont bring bug spray, it will leak in your suitcase, we have plenty AND a mosquito magnet (trap)
Hint #3 don't worry about packing, there's nothing you can't live without that we can't get at walmart after you get here,, yes, we have a walmart, and indoor plumbing.
Hint #4 Rent the little personal tvs on the plane,, unless of course you don't watch tv. Then you can just read the skymiles magazine and the instructions on the barf bag.
Hint #5 Relax, we're going to have a blast.

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

For all of you who don't know - "Bob" (see Mamabear's hints) is the dear snake I get to share a dwelling with. See, she's (Bob's owner) isn't being even the slightest bit considerate of me!!! Gracious. With friends like her, who needs enemys, right?!!! ROFL.

Julie

Vonnie said...

Tip #1 - DON'T stay with Tracey.... she has beguiled you! :)

Tip #2 - wait til you get here to buy the mosquito spray... you will need it.

Tip #3 - bring a jacket, it has been a cold summer so far.

Tip #4 - be prepared for alot of fun! :)

Kimberly said...

Do NOT be tempted to use a airline blanket on the plane...they shed all over your clothes.. or at least it did on me and I arrived in Germany covered w/lint!

Bring eye-drops!!
Maybe earplugs!! Pray there's a decent movie...that really helps pass the time. On my trip home from Alaska I saw Titantic (a cleaned up version)...it was a "Great" use of time!
Get up and walk around alot...I'm serious! (are the kids going?)

Have fun! It is soooo beautiful there!