Thursday, November 15, 2007

My dear perfectionist husband

Honestly.... for the last 4 days I keep hearing about this dreadful 15 page paper that is due yesterday. I mean he has been staying up until 3:00 AM each morning to work on this. He's been spending ENTIRE days in his office on this thing. Anyways.... He's been stressing.


So, he turns it in last night at midnight and gets his grade this AM. He got an 89% on it. He was devastated. Completely blown away. So.... his prof told him to revise it and re-submit it by midnight tonight.


So..... I get the kids all settled in bed.... get him his favorite snack..... brew some tea for us..... and head to his office to give him moral support during this stressful and disappointing time.


While sitting there I say to him... "honey, hypothetically, what happens if you don't get any higher of a grade than the 89%?" So, he accesses all his prior grades up until now. GUESS WHAT???!!! If he gets no better than a 89% on this paper his average right now (even with the 89%) is 99%.


I about spit out my tea. I was like, "WHAT?!! You mean I've been feeling all sorry for you and letting you whine about your awful grades and then I find out THIS?!!!" I promptly got up and left. I said, "Honey, if you want to sit here in front of this computer and go over that stupid 15 page paper simply to bring your grade from a 99% to a 100% - go for it but I have more important things to be doing." GRRRRR!!!


So, for my perfectionist hubby, I have found a new motto that he must recite each night before going to sleep..... "I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business."Michael J. Fox

11 comments:

Janiece said...

Way to stick it to him! I wouldn't have stuck around for that either! As a matter of fact, I probably would have called him a moron on my way out : ) Jerry tended to be the same way when he was in school, GRRRRR!!! I was just happy to pass the stupid test, LOL!

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Thank you for your love and support. Did you also send this to the Albion News? Thanks at least for my tea. By the way..... what "favorite snack" did you bring?

Byron

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

No, I didn't send it to the newspaper but thanks for the idea!!! :-) Oh, and the favorite snack.... the oreo's. But.... I couldn't carry them and both mugs of tea out in the blizzard we were having - what with having to get all bundled up and leave the warm house - so they accidently got left on the counter. I did get them ready to bring though... does that count?

Julie

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

I will let you off the hook this time! :)

Byron

Janiece said...

As long as you are calling the Albion News with this info, don't you have a local radio and TV station that could broadcast it too?! HA! I think I would have layered the bottom of his cup with the Oreo's, inside the cup that is, LOL!

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Janiece you behave and stick up for me!!!!

B

Beth Stetler said...

:-)

tacomom said...

Wahhhhh...I feel really sorry for someone with a 99% average :) BTW, did I ever apologize for not saying HI when you were at our church in Oct. I started to but you were engaged in conversation and others were waiting to talk. But I felt bad later.

Mamabear said...

Oreo Soup:

Crumble half a package or so of Oreo's into a bowl, add milk,, eat with a spoon..heaven.

Principal T said...

It's people like you that make it incredibly frightening for the rest of us mere mortals to even consider graduate school. You wipe the curve out of the curve. Thanks alot

Anonymous said...

Tell Hubby to chill! LOL