Monday, October 29, 2007

YOUTH CHALLENGE!!

We just returned from Indiana. We had the WONDERFUL privilege of attending Youth Challenge '07. I have so many things I would LIKE to say but I really can't put into words how I feel about YC.

As I sat there among 1000+ teens, I thought to myself, "who says kids nowadays have no interest in spiritual things?!" The services were phenomenal. My personal favorite was on Thursday night when Rob Deas spoke about God leading us with His eye. It was a sermon like none I've ever heard. I was moved in an incredible way. I think I cried almost the entire sermon. I don't know that I've ever felt God's touch on me in such a powerful way as I was listening to that sermon. Then he concluded his message with the song "I Surrender All" with the kids following his eye and playing their handbell as he guided them, it was a truly "awesome" moment. The Lord's presence was so real I almost expected to open my eyes and see Jesus Himself standing in the flesh beside me. I count it an HONOR to have been there and feel so very very BLESSED to have been able to experience God's presence in such a real tangible way.

I left Youth Challenge wishing deeply that Youth Challenge had been around when I was a teen. I honestly feel that every holiness teen should be required to attend Youth Challenge.

And, to the Youth Challenge Board: You all are doing a wonderful job of keeping the events relevant to teens yet focused on holiness. There is an awesome balance of fun and seriousness. Thank you for not attempting to make teens worship like adults. Thank you for addressing real life issues in ways that teens can understand and relate to. Thank you for all the hard work you all do to lay the ground work for a wonderful event in which God can come, move and transform young lives.

Although I am not a teenager, I can honestly say that I was incredibly impacted by this year's event. It has been a very long time since I sat in a service and felt God's presence so tangibly.

To you parents reading this: SEND YOUR TEENS TO YOUTH CHALLENGE '08!! It is worth every dollar. I honestly feel that if my generation had attended a "Youth Challenge" history would have been written a bit differently.

Also, it was WONDERFUL to see some of our Pell City Friends!! It was good to talk to you all again!!!!

We were at Youth Challenge this year with 3 of our district teens - Andy Crouch, Becky Grate & Rachel Grate. The theme of this year's Event was "What If". Some of the session titles were: "What if I Wait?" "What if I let go?" "What if I get to the top?" "What if I take a risk?" "What if I don't tell?" Here is some pics:





3 comments:

sankey family said...

Thanks for the great report and the pics of Youth Challenge! I always loved going when we lived in Ohio - hopefully my boys will be able to attend as teenagers someday!

Melodie

Angie said...

So glad to hear that you were refreshed and renewed!

Becky said...

I always enjoyed YC. I was at the very first YC. It has come a long way since then. Back then it was held at GBS. It has been a few years since I have been back. Hopefully next year:)