Wednesday, August 29, 2007

From Vincent's Teacher

This came home today in Vincent's book bag:

The First Day
I thought of you with a wink and a smile
As your child entered my room today;
For I know it is hard to leave the school
And know your child must stay.

You've been with him for five years now
And have been a loving guide;
But, now, alas, the time has come
To leave him at my side.

Just know that as you walk away
And tears down your cheeks may flow
I'll love him as I would my own
And help him learn and grow.

For as a parent, I, too, know
How quickly the years do pass;
One day, not long ago, it was my turn
To take my child to class.

So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more;
For I will love him and take him in
When you leave him at my door.

See, I told you he has a wonderful teacher!!!

3 comments:

sankey family said...

How precious - loved the pics of Vincent on his first day of school. Don't they look so little and big at the same time on that first day? I always thought mine did. Big compared to that tiny baby I birthed - but soooooo little to be sending away from Mama.

Melodie

tacomom said...

Wow, what an awesome poem. Brought tears to my eyes. I was remembering last year when Kerrigan's teacher (she was the baby and the only child I actually took to Kindergarten since I homeschooled the other two) gave us mommies a white lunch sack. Inside were Hershey's kisses and hugs and a little pack of Kleenex. I can't remember what the bag said on it.

Lisa said...

Wow!! Sounds like an awsome teacher. That should make leaving them a little easier...however I think I cried a few tears over each one that went. It never got any easier.