Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Voice of Reason

I was reading through my latest copy of "Parenting" magazine that comes each month to my mailbox - no idea how or why - I certainly haven't purchased a subscription but nonetheless......

On page 53 something caught my eye....

"This much I know....."
First the "it" celebrity accessory was tiny dogs, but now baby bumps are getting their star turn. Which is nice and all until I had to explain to my daughters at the grocery checkout why Jessica Alba got knocked up first and held out for the marriage thing later, and why Halle Berry proclaimed she's not married to her baby's daddy. I told my girls that there are many different kinds of families, but going it alone isn't as romantic as the magazines make it out to be. Thankfully, that was enough for them, and I didn't have to explain (again) how babies get in bellies. When they have more questions, I'll repeat our families values: First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in the baby carriage. By Denene Millner


What a breath of fresh air to hear this coming from a secular writer, and one is quite accomplished at that.

And I said a hearty AMEN sister!!!

2 comments:

Shandra said...

We get it because Mom bought it for us...her purpose was so the kids would get the Sesame Street magazine that came with it. Although I didn't get a Sesame STreet magazine with my last issue.

Samantha said...

i got that magazine with all my pregnancies...i assumed somehow it was given to me by my doc's office, cause i never signed up for it, either that or one of those freebie cards you get with all of your freebie stuff with births in the hospital.