Monday, February 25, 2008

Have you noticed?

On Saturday afternoon, I was cleaning the boys room. They have panelling on their walls and as I reached down to pick up a toy laying next to the wall, my index finger on my dominant (right) hand shoved right down on top of a mega splinter. It was not your typical tiny piece of wood. It was about 1/2 in long (at least) and was very thick and wide. It shoved clear under the nail with nothing exposed. There was nothing that I could grab a hold of to pull it out. It was instant, excruciating pain. I immediately completely covered it with "bag balm" (remember I'm a farm girl and all farmers know that bag balm solves a multitude of evils!!). I also soaked it 2 different times in Epsom salt water. I went to bed that night with it completely covered with bag balm in hopes that between it and the Epsom salts, it would be drawn out enough by morning that I'd be able to grab a hold of it and yank it out. The pain was so intense that I could not use my index finger at all. I tried to play the piano just to see if I'd be able to and I couldn't - effectively. I prayed very hard that God would see that my request was truly not completely "me centered" - the pain was intense and I truly wanted rid of it but not being able to play on a Sunday AM is not a good thing. I woke up the next morning and guess what... God had answered my prayer. I'm not certain if He used the bag balm or the Epsom salts, but it matters not to me either way. I will say that it was just as painful coming OUT as it was GOING in!! But, its out and not infected, thank the Lord.


But, during the whole drama, the thought kept going through my mind - "I had NO idea how MUCH I depend on my index finger on my dominant hand!" The simplest tasks were all the sudden cumbersome and awkward. Turning on the ignition (OUCH! I just bumped it!), putting on my coat, washing dishes, PLAYING THE PIANO (I had no idea I used my index finger so much more than the others), doing laundry.... on and on the list could go. By Saturday evening my nerves were shot from a combination of trying to protect the offended body part and the pain of having it offended.

What about the body of Christ? What about that one who doesn't seem to be all that important yet in reality is incredibly vital to the effective fulfillment of God's call to us? Ask the Lord to show you who it is in your immediate family of God who perhaps deserves a little extra TLC today (or tomorrow, whichever is more convenient). Don't wait until they have been injured (spiritually, emotionally or physically) to doctor them and bandage them and nurse them back to health. Show them appreciation now. Trust me, I appreciate my finger so much more now that the pain is gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you got it out. Under the nail is the worst place to get a splinter. Tiffany

sankey family said...

OUCH! That sounds awful. Your life application was wise and taken to heart.
~ Melodie

Vonnie said...

That is awesome, sorry about your finger but the analogy is great! Thanks for a great reminder to love each other and take care of the ones who are hurting!