Saturday, March 1, 2008

Cinnamon Muffins

I decided to make up some muffins for a couple care packages. I was hungry for something cinnamon so here's what I unearthed on Cooks.com.


My review: These muffins are incredibly moist and kinda healthy since you use applesauce and egg whites rather than oil and whole eggs. (Although, the icing I added at the end negates any/all healthy attributes). These are VERY mild - I may use more cinnamon next time. These would be great for someone just out of the hospital needing "light" food. Just a hint of cinnamon and very good. Also, I added the glaze topping that you see in the pictures. I just thought they needed "something". :-) I also doubled the recipe and got 48 mini muffins rather than making "big" muffins. I like to do this if I plan to pass them out. Oh, and for anyone who decides to count the muffins in the pictures..... there are a couple missing due to taste testing that MUST occur in any kitchen!!! :-)


Cinnamon Muffins


1 1/2 c. self-rising flour

1/2 c. sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1 apple, chopped

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

2 egg whites

1/2 c. applesauce (I used cinnamon applesauce)

1/2 c. skim milk


Combine all ingredients. Spoon into muffin pan and top with 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of topping ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees until done, approximately 15 minutes. Remember - when cooking without oil, the time varies with outside temperature, humidity, and oven type.


TOPPING INGREDIENTS:
1/4 c. sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 c. oats

2 tsp. Molly Mcbutter ( I used butter - melted)

2 tsp. water (or to desired consistency)



5 comments:

Vonnie said...

Wow!! Those look awesome! You better make some of those this summer when you are up here with us. :)

Michelle said...

Those do look good. And I agree, the cook MUST taste-test her creations before sending them out the door. No one wants something that tastes bad...

A Peek Into My Life said...

MmmmM! I love it when "real" people share recipes they've actually tried. Those sound delicious & look lovely. :) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Your father-in-law wonders how good they are! Prove to him that they are REALLY good.

Candi said...

Those do look really good!! What did you do for the icing?? I think my boys would love those!!