Monday, March 3, 2008

Flu Season!!


Well, it seems that the flu just won't leave our family alone. I have 2 sick ones again today. In the spirit of flu season, I am posting handy little article about fevers. I have heard conflicting theorys but this is what my doctor advises so I guess I'll stick to my current opinions. Here's what I just read on www.fitsugar.com.

When Is a Fever Too High?
Mon, 03/03/2008 - 2:30am by FitSugar

With the nasty flu bug making its rounds, there's only so much eating healthy, getting enough rest, washing your hands, getting a flu shot, and avoiding germs one can do. If you're unlucky enough to get the flu, your body will hike up your body temperature to boil away all those germs.


So, is there a point when your temperature can get too high?


When you get the flu, a sudden high fever is totally normal, and it can get as high as 104° F, and last for three to four days.
The best thing you can do is to rest and drink plenty of fluids, since a fever can cause you to become dehydrated. Don't attempt to cool off your skin with cold packs since they'll just make you shiver, which will end up raising your body temperature.


Instead you should alternate between taking Tylenol and ibuprofen every four hours to help reduce your fever. Alternating these meds will help to prevent accidental overdose, and sometimes the combination of the two will be more effective in bringing down your fever.



Fit's Tips: If your fever persists for more than five days, or it goes over 104° F, call your doctor and get some medical advice immediately.

3 comments:

Mamabear said...

My sister in law has a very holistic approach to this,, her doctor has a VERY non-invasive approach to most simple bugs,, just leave them alone. He even says dont' give tylenol until 105 or after,, and a small seizure is not damaging in the least, it is the opposite in that this is the body's method of dealing with the fever,, it resets the body. She doesn't do ANY immunizations either. I was very sceptical at first, but after researching both ideas, there is ALOT that is not presented to us by typical modern medicine.
I think we are WAY over-medicated for a start, so much of the dissenting material on this is not hard for me to swallow.

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Tracey, I am VERY muchlike your SIL. My theory is "medicate as little as possible and never if possible"!! LOL I very rarely get upset or scared when the kids (or Byron adn I) get fevers - even if they are high. It just tells me that my body is working the way its supposed to.

Julie

A Peek Into My Life said...

At first glance, I thought you had posted a picture of a pregnancy test. LOL ;) I thought maybe you had "news".

Our daughter had a febrile seizure due to a fever spike when she was a baby. Fortunately, I had researched a lot before that & wasn't as scared as some of the other people were when it happened. Even after experiencing that, I still believe it's a good idea to medicate less!